Jason Geisker is the principal legal advisor to Claims Funding Australia and a principal lawyer at Maurice Blackburn’s Sydney office, focusing on commercial, insolvency and class action litigation and funding.
Jason is a highly regarded class action and commercial litigator. He is one of the select few class action lawyers to have been formally recognised by his peers in the Doyles’ rankings as a leading lawyer in the field of commercial litigation and dispute resolution in New South Wales.
Jason holds a Masters of Law from the University of NSW. Since his admission to practice in 1996, Jason has acted in numerous high-profile and ground-breaking matters, including shareholder class actions and cases on behalf of tens of thousands of consumers and investors.
In his role as principal legal advisor to CFA, Jason draws on his extensive commercial litigation, class action and dispute resolution experience to develop strategies that maximise outcomes for claimants. A tenacious, innovative and diligent lawyer, Jason pursues cases with the client’s strategic objectives front of mind.
Recently Jason oversaw the conduct of the Australian class actions against disgraced German vehicle manufacturers Volkswagen, Audi and Skoda over the ‘Dieselgate’ scandal. These class actions were brought on behalf of 100,000 Australian motorists seeking redress as a result of the VW Group’s marketing and sale of dirty diesel engine vehicles, which were passed off to consumers as environmentally friendly, low emission, clean diesel technology. This resulted in total settlement payments exceeding $120m plus costs for Australian motorists.
Over almost two decades at Maurice Blackburn, Jason has also led other significant cases including:
- A Federal Court action against former City Pacific Limited directors for breaches of the Corporations Act. This action culminated in a $70m judgment for the benefit of investors against former City Pacific directors. This trial win against all defendants was successfully maintained on appeals to the Full Federal Court and the High Court of Australia.
- Nufarm class action settlement of $46.625m obtained for over 3,000 Nufarm Ltd investors, following claims that Nufarm had breached its continuous disclosure obligations to the ASX.
- AWB class action settlement of $39.5m for almost 1,300 eligible shareholders. This case centred on AWB’s involvement in the UN sanctions busting ‘Oil-for-food’ kickback scandal, involving the former Saddam Hussein regime in Iraq, as examined by the Cole Inquiry in 2005.
Jason is sought-after for his legal commentary on class actions and litigation funding and the valuable role they play in providing access to justice for claimants who would otherwise not be able to fund a legal case.
Accreditations & memberships
- Admitted to the Supreme Court of NSW in 1996
- Admitted to the High Court of Australia in 1996
- Law Society of NSW member
- International Bar Association member
- Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association (ARITA) associate member
- Law Council of Australia Federal Litigation and Dispute Resolution Section member
- Doyle's 2016 list of Leading NSW Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Lawyers
- Doyle's 2018 list of Leading NSW Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Lawyers
- Doyle’s 2020 list of Leading NSW Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Lawyers